Veteran journalist strikes a negative note in Index watching Cell report.
· Pointing out that the proper to dissent ought to be the central focus of press freedom, freelance journalist P. Sainath stricken a negative note within the report submitted by the Index watching Cell (IMC)
· It is ready up by the knowledge associate degreed Broadcasting Ministry with stakeholders to boost India’s ranking within the World Press Freedom Index and to evolve an objective yardstick to measure media freedom.
· The 15-member committee, has four journalists and government functionaries.
· Chaired by Kuldeep Singh Dhatwalia, Principal Director General of the Press info Bureau, the committee has ten government workers.
· Among the key recommendations is that the decriminalising of defamation. India is one among the few countries within the world to illegalize defamation.
· The panel has conjointly suggested that consent of the Press Council of India may be a requirement before filing associate degree FIR against the media or a publication.
· The meeting of the panel comes within the scene of a gentle decline in India’s ranking in press freedom.
World Press Freedom Index
· It has been printed per annum since 2002 by Reporters Sans Frontieres (RSF) or Reporters without boundary lines.
· Based in Paris, RSF is associate degree freelance nongovernmental organization with informatory standing with the international organisation, UNESCO, the Council of Europe and therefore the alignment of the Francophonie (OIF).
· OIF may be a fifty four french speaking nations collective.
· The Index ranks a hundred and eighty countries and regions consistent with the amount of freedom on the market to journalists.
The parameters embrace school of thought, media
independence, media atmosphere and self-censorship, legislative framework,
transparency, and therefore the quality of the infrastructure that supports the
assembly of reports and data.